What you need to rent a property in the UK

What you need to rent a property in the UK

What you need to rent a property in the UK

If you’re planning on relocating into the UK, or if you’re moving into rented accommodation for the first time, you may well be wondering where to start.

 Aside from finding the right location, and the right property, one of the most important things you need to do is get your paperwork in order.

There are certain documents almost all landlords will ask you for. Getting these ready in advance will help to make your move as smooth as possible.



The most important document you’ll need to present to your landlords is your ID.

As @CitizensAdvice says, “Your landlord or letting agent will ask to see your immigration documents or passport when you start or renew your tenancy. They do this to check you have the right to live in the UK and to rent – this is called the ‘right to rent check’.” Acceptable ID includes a valid passport or driving license.


Proof of earnings

Your new landlord will want to make sure that you have the financial ability to pay your rent. A lot of landlords will ask to see payslips or bank statements for the last three months. If you don’t have any income, they may ask you to find a guarantor.

 A guarantor agrees to cover your rent if you’re unable to pay. Your guarantor will need to be aged between 18 and 75 and be a UK resident. They’ll also need to have a good credit rating. If you’re unable to find a suitable guarantor, there are some companies that provide this service.

Renting UK

Proof of employment 

If you’ve moved to the UK in order to take up a new job, you may need to show your employment contract.

Your contract will prove to your prospective landlord that you’ll have a stable salary and will be able to pay your rent.

However, if you’re still in the trial or probationary period of your employment, your contract may not mean a lot.


Proof of address 

In many cases, you’ll need to present your new landlord with proof of your current address. The best way to do this is to provide them with a recent utility bill, bank statement, or other official letter. This document should be dated within the last three months.



Last but definitely not least, you may be asked to provide a reference. This reference will generally come from a previous landlord, however, in some circumstances, your employer or another person in a trusted position could provide the paperwork.


Keeping things simple

If you don’t want to jump through hoops to rent a flat in the UK, finding a property through CheckedInn could be the answer. All we’ll need is your current address and a photo ID.

This straightforward approach takes the stress out of house hunting and makes it easy to find the perfect home in your new location. Get in touch today to find out more.